KEARNEY – The City of Kearney has declared a State of Emergency as the coronavirus pandemic continues. There have still been no cases of the virus confirmed in the South Central Nebraska area. Flights to Chicago will be suspended starting on April 1. Flights to Denver will also be seeing cut backs but not a total suspension yet.
Following recommendations of public health officials and the CDC, the City of Kearney Park and Recreation Department is taking the following action:
- All events and rentals are cancelled through May 10.
- Organized team practices, games, and programs at City parks conducted by sport associations, the Park and Recreation Department, or other users have been suspended until further notice.
- The batting cages at Patriot Park and Memorial Field are closed to the public until further notice.
- The Peterson Senior Activity Center is closed until further notice. Mid-Nebraska Community Services will work with staff to supply to-go lunches for seniors in need beginning March 23. More information will be provided.
- The release of the April-September PLAY KEARNEY summer program guide has been delayed until a date to be determined.
Please contact the Department, at (308) 237-4644, if additional information is needed.
The City of Kearney also announced that all city offices will be closed starting on Tuesday, March 17 at 5:00pm. The only exceptions will be the Cemetery Office and the Law Enforcement Center. They encouraged everyone to call or email if you need assistance.
Important Phone Numbers:
City Hall (General Information): (308) 233-3215
Finance: (308) 233-3240 and (308) 233-3221
Development Services: (308) 233-3232
Park & Recreation: (308) 237-4644
Cemetery: (308) 233-3244
Peterson Senior Center: (308) 233-3290
Utilities: (308) 233-3259